ROCK AND READ 083 [NOCTURNAL BLOODLUST] - Hiro

Preface: I got this magazine and translated it back in April but have had no time since then to work on it. I was able to finally finish editing it! There's a lot of interesting information in this long-form interview, so I hope you enjoy. Thank you for reading!






"Restart"


Hiro      NOCTURNAL BLOODLUST

Profile & information
Born November 28. O-type. Vocalist of NOCTURNAL BLOODLUST, formed in 2009. Now, Masa (bass), Natsu (drums), and new member LIN (guitar) are active as four1.
nocturnalbloodlust.com

Roughly a half-year following the message, "Negotiating activities for 2019-on."
In a new order, presenting a recommencing NOCTURNAL BLOODLUST, what kind of work will they show from now?
Leaving their name as "NOCTURNAL BLOODLUST," according to Hiro, what does this mean exactly?
Furthermore, we cut into the music portion, and what's ideal for a vocalist.
NCBL from now on, about the music from here, vocalist Hiro barks!

******

In the end, no matter what you do, there will be a mixed reaction. However, because we're pursuing a happy future, we've got confidence.


Q: When this issue is released there are going to be a variety of announcements, though this interview is taking place at the end of March. Following the event at Nippon Budokan at the end of this past year*, there wasn't any big development as a band even though each member had individual projects going on. As for Hiro, what are you doing now?
*Nippon Budokan event = performance at "JACK IN THE BOX 2018 ~LAST BUDOKAN" on December 27, 2018

Hiro: Including myself, all members are writing songs. We're thinking of releasing at the end of July, so we're aiming for that. Everyone's putting in their all.

Q: Are you keeping contact well?

Hiro: That's right. We're keeping contact, and our chances to get together have increased. For the band's direction, about song composition, virtually every time we meet we ask, "What should we do?" In today's age, you can exchange information using any tool, right? It feels like it's become "human." Even from before, we communicate more.

Q: In the current state, the direction the band is going in already appears clear, and you're running towards that.

Hiro: Right. We've been talking about it since last year. After that announcement*, we asked, "How do we go on from here?" Since we couldn't think of anything besides a restart, we've been polishing how to present as three people. Well, which band as well, but the vocals are ultimately crucial, aren't they? If I were to withdraw, nothing could be done. Bearing that in mind, Natsu stopped me.
*that announcement = announcement on the OHP stating Cazqui and Daichi's withdrawal on October 19 2018

Q: From withdrawing.

Hiro: He said, "If Hiro isn't singing, I can't play drums." I thought of before, even though we became three, we can start again from one. Then, at the time of restarting activities, I thought it would be meaningless if we were to do the same thing as before. If we did the same thing as NOCTURNAL BLOODLUST from before, we could only go the same way. Until now, we've walked along this path for more than nine years, so even if we welcomed new members it wouldn't be fresh, conservative, or taking on challenges. That's why I wanted to make a 180-degree change. Of course, I wanted to make music aimed at different directions and places, while still having the musical basis of NOCTURNAL BLOODLUST.

Q: And when you say "different directions?"

Hiro: Putting it simply, I'd like more opportunities to play with various genres, and join taibans2. Looking broadly. After all, I think we had a yin existence, if it were divided into yin and yang. So even though our band image was that of yin, my own personality is bright. Or, if I stood out involuntarily, I doubt it would work well. But I thought it wouldn't be fun if I didn't continue music, or seek opportunities for more people to notice it. Not only music, but I want to expand the scope of our activities.

Q: So far, NOCTURNAL BLOODLUST has been active in crossing between loud3 and visual kei4, but from there it seems this range will broaden further?

Hiro: You could say that we were active across both loud and visual kei, but in the end it's quite evasive, and there may be no demands from either. After all, if you do it by half-measures, there will be times like, "Well, which are you?" Until now, we've worn costumes and been making characters, but in conveying music straight, there's a bit of an obstacle in me. Because I have to make that kind of ambience I think that's also my character, but I think it's okay if I bring out a little more. I want to be myself without overdoing it.

Q: When restarting activities, did you rethink yourself?

Hiro: Yes. At that time, I didn't think the band's colour matched with my character. Of course, there were people who accepted it, but it felt like it wasn't enough. Also, on the music side, to be honest I don't think it's good, within visual kei. Because it's intense, and I shout. Well, that's not good wherever you go.

Q: Ah, even though it's a so-called wide place5.

Hiro: That's why music has become so popular for more than ten years. If you say it it's like music whose time has passed. Even though music is changing rapidly with the trends of the times, it can't be helped if you continue doing the same thing. Music who's fallen out of season, in the core scene if fans got into it, for myself I didn't think it was good. We also thought we could make more things if we used our heads. Besides, if we don't do that, I think we'll eventually end up buried. If you feel it's good to make songs from the past, nothing will happen, there will be nothing noteworthy, and it will end just when it revives. I hated that.

Q: For that purpose, you want to move towards someplace broader than just visual kei or 'loud'.

Hiro: That's why we'll try to make something new as NOCTURNAL BLOODLUST. Not only music, but our image and band colour, so if another band were to do it it would feel out of place. We're thinking about what it'll look like precisely because we're doing it. For that, I think the vocals' colour is important for a band. As with any band, a vocalist with a strong character in a good sense is reflected in the songs, then the songs and band's outlook are in line. The best example is Queen Bee6, I think. I think vocalist Avu-chan7 is great. With that look and character, I understand how that voice comes out. I'm not sure why, though.

Q: It's something absolute. Just by listening to the voice you know it's Avu-chan.

Hiro: I have to become a vocalist like that, so that just by listening8, you can understand, "Oh, this is NCBL's Hiro," because the character, music, and worldview are in unison. True story, what I was doing until now, I didn't know what worldview, or what atmosphere there was. Wearing various clothes and makeup, having a different sentiment each time, and having to change various feelings, I made myself one designation, and it causes blurring.

Q: You're trying to start a new NCBL, which is different from the previous one, but in doing so didn't you have the idea of changing the band name, for example, to close the door on that short time?

Hiro: No. In the end, I didn't think it would mean anything to not keep the name. Because it's still the band we started I didn't think we had to lose our name, so I didn't think it was necessary to change it.

Q: Is that unanimous?

Hiro: Yes.

Q: However, I think there will be a lot of people who look back to the past by having the same name. No matter how much you present new things.

Hiro: That's right.

Q: What do you think about that?

Hiro: While I definitely think there will be those who see the past [us], but we are only looking forward. So, to be honest, I don't think it's necessary to follow us if you think it's impossible. I think there will be people come out who can't accept the new NCBL. However, if we were to do the same thing as before and say we're happy, I won't be happy. That's why I'm thinking of doing it in a way we'll feel happy.

Q: Certainly, if you neglect that #1, it'll be over soon.

Hiro: I think if I did the same thing as before, I'd probably give up within a year.

However, if we were to do the same thing as before and say we're happy, I won't be happy. I think if I did the same thing as before, I'd probably give up within a year.


Q: In that case, you'd only have to push your new selves. By the time this issue is out, it will have already been announced that LIN will have joined as a new member. What kind of person is he?

Hiro: Tall and handsome.

Q: (lol)

Hiro: and young. Good at playing guitar.

Q: How did you originally get acquainted?

Hiro: We met several times. Along with Natsu, we asked, "Are you interested [in NOCTURNAL BLOODLUST]?" So we talked about it once, did a jam in the studio, and then we talked the three of us, "What should we do?" And then, "It's good, isn't it?" Actually, I wanted LIN to play at the last Budokan show, too. But, the timing didn't work out so it didn't happen, but that was okay. If LIN came out there, people would have thought he'd be joining, and the surprise news would have been diluted.

Q: As for LIN's joining, did he immediately answer, "OK?"

Hiro: He really wanted to join from the start. From our side, if it was alright, we felt that we wanted to do it. For myself, because he's handsome and tall.

Q: What an extreme recommendation.

Hiro: It's a welcome. Our facial deviation value will go remarkably high.

Q: As a new system, you're going as 4 [people].

Hiro: For now, that's right. I think we still need to add one more person, though.

Q: You want five people, in the end.

Hiro: Right. Even though LIN is a really great guitarist, I think we have to have a guitarist who possesses what he doesn't to join as well.

Q: And what I really care about is what kind of music you'll do.

Hiro: First of all, it feels like we're creating enjoyable songs for lives.

Q: … That's really broad (lol).

Hiro: Well, like it feels like you can do a fun workout. I want to perform at a festival, so I'd like to focus on songs that would be exciting in such places. For us, we're the type of people who like to get other people amped up. I feel like I'm also like that, but Masa and Natsu too think it's fun to have a good time with everyone, so why don't we keep doing it without hiding it? Kind of feeling.

Q: That's exactly where your origins came from.

Hiro: Well, I want to brighten the band's image. Although it looks like an inverted relation to the band name (lol).

Q: It's a huge gap (lol). Because of that, I think it would be some kind of manifestation of determination to continue to work under the same name as before, but I wonder what kind of thing was NCBL for you up to now?

Hiro: Because the foundation of the music still remains, I think there was meaning in the previous NCBL, but after all the results are everything. Since it happened like this, I can't think of anything but how to connect to the next thing. I can only think so. If nothing else continues, I can talk about it like normal, but that's not the case, so I can't help but look back and think about it all the time. From what I've experienced, thought, and felt, I wanted to leave the band name properly, in a better way.

Q: For yourself, what kind of existence is NCBL?

Hiro: It's a family to protect. Well, now the family structure has changed, it looks like (lol). I don't think it's so negative. We can't change what happened, and I don't think it's very manly to complain forever.

Q: You said you wanted to expand the scope of your activities, but [you are]9 now teaching many people to shout.

Hiro: Originally, I was introduced to a friends' bandmate who said, "I have a child who wants to learn to shout." I'm teaching that person even now, but to be honest, it was experimental in the beginning. For teaching shouting, because I'd never done it. However, I thought since that child was growing, maybe I could teach after all if there was someone wanting to learn. I started in earnest… last May, or so.

Q: To give professional teaching at that timing.

Hiro: I received a lot of letters and messages chiming, "Please teach me." Even for myself, I didn't want this shouting to become an unused treasure, so I thought it'd be fine to try if there was a demand.

Q: Was there something like a change in your attitude?

Hiro: No, I thought about doing it before? That's why I was prepared, and in fact a long time ago there were shout videos for fan-limited benefits. But I think only a very limited number of people knew, and I thought it'd be better to convey it straight than in video. There are a lot of people who have a mistaken idea about shouting, or that it's difficult, so I thought it'd be good if I could help them myself. Well, I like people.

Q: A video* has been uploaded, too. Doing it with Codomo Dragon's Chamu10. I watched it while actually shouting at the monitor (lol).
*A video = A video entitled "Shouting Basics from the Shout Lesson Teacher " uploaded to B.P. Records YouTube Channel December 20, 2018.

Hiro: (lol). Everyone's telling me that. Chamu was so happy. He said, "That video is really popular." Since B.P. (B.P. RECORDS, to which Codomo Dragon belongs) started YouTube, he said, "Let's do something together." I said, "sure." Well, the date was decided but we hadn't rehearsed anything in particular, so we decided on the spot and recorded it (lol).

Q: It's a hit performance (lol). Do you always teach like in that video?

Hiro: Yes.

Q: And do you give advice like training the body?

Hiro: I don't say that. It doesn't mean anything to train your body.

Q: Is that so?

Hiro: It's better to have muscles and a spine, but it's absolutely necessary as a vocalist, so it goes without saying. On the other hand, I'd like to say, "What isn't?" I feel the basic way of thinking changes, because it makes more fun of the use of the throat and shouting, it's not just yelling angrily. Then, I also do a counselling service. Like, "Now, the band feels like this…" and so on. "Oh, I see, I also feel this way, hahahaha."

Q: (lol). Although you say there's no meaning to training your body, you're really built.

Hiro: That's because it's a must for me. For people who are addicted to training it's just a part of their lives. Together with what you eat. You'll notice it if you hold a barbell.

Q: Why did you think of training to such an extent?

Hiro: I've trained since a long time ago. When I was second grade in junior high school, my father abruptly bought a bench press and said, "You'll train!" so me and my 2 brothers trained. I don't really know why I train (lol). I've done it ever since then.

Q: But it's also said that if you put on too much muscle it becomes difficult to enunciate.

Hiro: I've been told that before. The first time I went for voice training, my instructor said, "Your muscles are amazing!" I said, "Thank you," but they replied, "No, I don't mean that!"

Q: Hahahahaha! "I'm not praising you!"

Hiro: "Please stop building your muscles!" Especially because the shoulders, neck and chest muscles can squeeze the airway and be a hindrance, I was told to stop training right away, but I said, "No, don't make me do something so unreasonable." (lol) I think medically speaking it may be correct that it becomes difficult to enunciate. But aren't there some built people who are great at singing, too? That's why I say it's psychology! There's a lot of stuff like that, like drinking coffee makes your throat bad, but I think it's all psychology. I think my body may be damaged, but some people can't raise their energy without coffee, while others are fine having another cup of coffee11. So I think I'm getting over all of that. Like, "It's absolutely impossible that I won't be able to sing with muscles!" Because I've been doing it with this body the whole time.

I think there was meaning in the previous NCBL. But the results are everything. To connect to the next thing, we're leaving the band name properly in a better way.


Q: I see. Moreover, if you think you won't sing the best, it's likely you will feel uneasy, too.

Hiro: It's all the same with lives and music: in the end, if you can't enjoy yourself I don't think you can convey that to the audience. If they say the person singing on stage now looks like they're having such a great time, I think the audience will smile. Even if you grimace the whole time, it looks like, "Oh, I'm worried…" If a string breaks in the middle of the performance, everyone's like, "Oh, is everything okay?" (lol) I don't want to make a time like that, where one by one the mood is ruined. I don't want to create moments like that. So I go on the premise that I can enjoy myself first.

Q: So, that is to say that unless you can enjoy yourself, there is no meaning.

Hiro: (nods silently)

Q: Now that you've started to look ahead to the future, what kind of life do you want to lead from here?

Hiro: While I also want to create a new sense of authority, for now I'd like to make an environment where everyone can get along well and have fun. Something like a feeling between class friends, "Let's do a taiban today!" "Yeah!" is the kind of mood I want to make. Although there will of course be fights, I'll take them seriously and with everyone's power, I want to do activities that can go to various worlds. So of course I don't think it will mean anything unless we become number one. So in a good way, I want to make friends.

Q: NCBL even until now was like that, and while it may be fruitless to ask, but many people are concerned about "genre." For NCBL from here on, what kind of genre(s) do you think there will be?

Hiro: Training hardcore.

Q: Training… hardcore…?

Hiro: At lives, everyone goes wild, running around and making noise. They're playgrounds, the livehouses. After all, I used to be married to that kind of thing. Like, "Run!" or "Today's the tournament!"

Q: I see.

Hiro: That's why in that sense, the atmosphere of the lives will be the same as before. Rather, I want it to be. Moreover, I can't answer as to the genre of NCBL up 'til now. It's like, "Doesn't it feel like there are many things included?" As for the listener, I'd like to attach all sorts of nouns and adjectives, but as an artist I don't think it's such a big deal. Even if you say, "I do rock!" someone else will say, "But that sounds like metal." "No, it's rock!" I don’t even know, if you say something like, "This is a ballad." "No, it's alternative." (lol)

Q: Right (lol).

Hiro: That's why, from that perspective, let's make some words with that feeling. If you think it's metal, you can call it that. If it's rock or pop, you can judge each.

Q: That leaves it to the person receiving it.

Hiro: Yes. I think it's good if people can look at our activities from now on and think for themselves. After all, I think there are pros and cons to doing new things, and I think that's the same as before. I think there are pros and cons to anything you do, so you won't know anything for sure unless you give it a go. But because we want to work towards a happy future, we've got confidence. So no matter what anyone says, we'll just do the music we can do.

Q: Not long ago, you said "music whose season has passed," I'm interested in what area of music you think it points to.

Hiro: Overall. In Japan, music is delayed when compared to the rest of the world. I mean, honestly, music is just self-satisfying.

Q: Meaning?

Hiro: For example, bands who are doing deathcore overseas are decreasing. Deathcore bands have undergone a shift change and become hardcore. It's kind of become a movement where they add clean or plain songs, and have returned to mixing. And yet, the name hasn't changed, but the music has quickly.

Q: Oh, like Bring Me the Horizon12.

Hiro: Right. So you don't have to think so hard. So even if you say, "It's not like this kind of Bring Me," because it's Oliver (Sykes)13, it's like saying "Go home."

Q: Hahahahaha. I see!

Hiro: So there are bands that change in that way, but of course there are also bands that remain deathcore the whole time. So I think it's fine if those people enjoy doing it, but I don't want to. That is, continuing to do the same thing without thinking about anything. Because it's my specialty it's not that I can't do it, because I have done it. If I have time to do it, I might think differently. Shift change is one thing, but it's okay to play different music with the same name.

Q: And there are also people whose music changes from album to album.

Hiro: That's why I think Bring Me the Horizon is a really good example. If you don't have a strong approach like that, things will get blurry. For example, in today's world if someone says, "Don't do this!" everyone claps back with "Continue!" right? It's a dark world. In that situation, the artists are doing what they want, it's like pushing forward their thoughts or music. As for me, I thought it'd be better to change this way because I was told so, so I did it but because I was in denial, it would have been better to do this, and that's tacky for an artist. People told me it's super tacky to blur. If you want to change, change. If you do what you want, it's fine.

Q: Although I agree with your way of thinking, do you ever feel cramped or hate when there are such few people to express that kind of opinion?

Hiro: No, I don't really think about it. Those who can't do it themselves can only see it as a clot.

Q: Hahahaha.

Hiro: It's just a story of, "Go ahead, try to make cooler music than me." So it's an apology if I make great music. It's like being told by someone who doesn't even know you, "Did you think you could cut my mind down by even 1 damage?"

Q: It's ridiculous. Well, there are people who say that everywhere.

Hiro: Right, right. Not only regarding music, but everything.

Q: Don't you feel like it's like that all over the world?

Hiro: It's not that sort of trend, but it is a world that can be seen only like that. It's almost like you're a hater. Even though I'm usually someone who agrees, if only haters are mostly listened to, then it'll look like there's a swarm of them, or so it's written. Besides, people who "like" something never really write that much. If you have the time to write, you may as well give support or something different. Only haters complain on the internet… I think it's pretty pathetic.

Our return live will be 10 billion times more fun. First of all, what we do is protect everyone's smile.


Q: However, I somehow think this is a world where voices saying "like" aren't balanced.

Hiro: Because the people who "like" are at lives, it's fine. No matter how much a hater hates it, if there's a lot of people at the lives, it serves them right. It's like, "Hey, hey, what's wrong? You alive?" It's like I've become SHIBATAR14 (lol). From here, I've got no time to spend on something like haters.

Q: Of course, if you're serious about something, you want to spend time on it. There were frequent talks about lives from before, but this current lineup's first oneman has also been announced.

Hiro: People have been waiting for it, so our return live will be 10 billion times more fun. Before that, I think we'll be putting out something new, so it feels like we're waiting while trying to guess what kind of live it will be. First of all, what we do is protect everyone's smile.

Q: Does that mean you will play old songs at the live?

Hiro: I don't think we will so much. I want to change our image, and like I said before, remember. Besides, if we do past songs, things'll get excited, but we don't want to spend our whole life there. But in the beginning I think we'll do them.

Q: This is a point in time where the number of songs haven't taken off.

Hiro: Yes. Once we've got more songs, it won't be necessary. Although, well, it's a little mean, as there will be people who want to hear those songs (lol).

Q: I see (lol). For the live shows, do you think it'll feel intense even if you say it?

Hiro: When the three of us were talking, I asked, "What should we do from now on?" But I want to be a band that makes people think, "They're a fun band" or "I want to make a band" when they see us live. You may think that way when you're young. I was like that, too. But if the live isn't fun, I don't think coming to the livehouse will be much affected. I think it'll end as "The lives are fun!" That's why I want the band to make lives so fun that people will think, "I want to try making a band, too." That's not only for lives, I think it'd be good if we could increase the number of people encouraged in this way.

Q: I understand. I'm looking forward to the activities from now on. However, I think that's the feeling it will be as a fan until they see the live once.

Hiro: That's right. Because only we know it.

Q: Right? (lol) In that sense as well, for those who have experienced NCBL in the past, what do you want them to see first?

Hiro: Honestly, I can't say 100%. There's no coercion, because that's something the people themselves decide. Listening to the sound, watching the MVs15, I think if you hate it you hate it. If you remember unpleasant things, I think it's okay if you hate it. But it sounds like it's not so much fun to have such a negative way of thinking.



***

Translator's Notes
1Four people.
2A concert similar in style to a battle of the bands, only this is informal and not actually a competition. There are no prizes, and each band shares the same amount of time on stage. Sometimes the last band to take the stage will have an encore section. Fans of one band will usually get as close to the stage as possible for their favourite band, and cycle to the back for the rest. Taiban events are a great way to discover new bands and favourites.
3Also called "loud rock music." Similar to genres like hardcore and heavy metal derived from the "rock" umbrella. More information here (in Japanese).
4Sometimes called a music genre in Western media, but is more a movement among Japanese musicians themselves. An FYI post will be coming to explain what visual kei is.
5As visual kei is not in and of itself a music genre, it's usually considered a place where artists can experiment more freely with different sounds.
6Queen Bee is a rock band from Kobe, Japan.
7Avu-chan is Queen Bee's lead vocalist.
8He literally says "to the source," but this comes off a bit clunky in English.
9The interviewer addresses Hiro by name here, but while it's polite to do so in Japanese, when you're talking to the person themselves, it's strange to do so in English in this way. It sounds more like you're talking to them in the third person voice.
10Codomo Dragon is another visual kei band, and Chamu is their drummer.
11It sounds like what Hiro's referencing here is those people who have no discernible effect from the consumption of caffeine.
12Bring Me The Horizon is an English rock band, the name of which is sometimes shortened to BMTH. Hiro shortens it to "Bring Me." They began as a deathcore band, but in later years lightened their sound and even incorporated elements from electronica, pop and hip-hop.
13Oliver Sykes is the vocalist of BMTH.
14PROWRESTLING SHIBATAR ZZ is a YouTube personality. You can find him here.
15Shorthand for Music Video. Music videos in Japan are sometimes referred to as PVs (Promotional Video), but 'MV' is being used more recently as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PHY Vol.9 [NOCTURNAL BLOODLUST] - Hiro